Reporting time is an easy task and is done directly through the interface under the Timesheets section. Please make sure you have timesheets enabled or the extension added if you would like to use timesheets.
How to Report Time on Scheduled Project or Event
If you have been scheduled / booked on an event or a project, that item will appear in your timesheets page. You will be able to see what time you have been booked or previous time that has been reported. To report time on any day in the week follow these steps:
- Click ‘New Time Entry’ in your Timesheets.
- Popup modal will appear where you can select a project or event you wish to report time for, then click ‘Add Project’.
- You will also see the option ‘Past Weeks’ in the modal, which gives you the option to add time entries to projects/events from the past. The popup modal also allows you to choose the category rows for your time entries.
- After you added the project/event, you can report time in the row called ‘General’ (by default). But you can choose your own row name as described in the previous steps, when selecting a project/event.
- After you added your project you want to report time for, scroll to the project in your timesheets.
- Find the day you want to enter time for and click the grey box. Then simply fill in the reported time.
- You will be able to enter a number into the box which will be your reported time.
- The box will turn yellow (unsubmitted state) until you press the submit button.
- If you have scheduled time already booked, you can simply click to confirm the scheduled time (This saves you need write in time if you want to match the booked time)
- Once you are ready, press submit.
- By clicking ‘Add Project Time’, you can add a new category row for your time entries.
- If desired, you can set a required ‘Note’ on every time entry in your settings. This can be used to, for example, describe or explain what were the submitted working hours spent on.
Quick Add Time
You can also quickly add time by clicking on the ‘pen’ button located left beside your time entry row. You can select days and times from the modal window and fill in the week’s empty rows with a simple click. It will save you the process of going through every single day. By default, Quick Add is set for Mo-Fr but you can use the day selector to quickly add or remove days.
How to Report Time on Project I am not Booked on?
As described above, you simply click on ‘New Time Entry’ on the top first row. Popup modal will appear where you can select the project or event as well as where you can choose your category rows.
Once you choose the project, add it. Then it will be added under your name and you can report time on it.
Adding Category Rows
Every time a record needs to belong to a category and project or event. The categorisation helps to create buckets of work areas in which a resource can report time on. For example you may create categories such as “Travel”, “Off Site Work”, “Design Work”, “Unpaid Work” etc etc. This will give you a clearer vision in reports where the time was spent and against what allocation. Categories can be specified in the Settings, Account Setup -> Booking Categories.
You can choose to either submit columns of time at once per category or submit all of the project. Time which has been submitted is green (Default) and time which is unsubmitted is yellow (Default) – Colors can be changed in settings.
Unsubmitted time is a visual state and Admins can still see time which is unsubmitted, it is not hidden from their view. You can also generate reports on unsubmitted time.
Time Entry Notes Requirement Option
A new setting has been added to a Project which allows you to require a note upon time entry submission. This is ideal if you want your team to add a note to the time entry as they work through their timesheets and track this way for example what tasks are more time-consuming than expected. This setting can be globally controlled for all projects or turned on / off on a project basis if that suits you better. You can set this feature via:
Here you can enable or disable “Require Notes on Timesheets”. Enabling Notes Requirement will imply to all newly created projects while checking the box “Require Notes on All Existing Projects” will relate to all, existing as well as newly created projects.
To set “Time Entry Notes Requirement Option” via Settings:
- Navigate to your Settings page in the top right header
- From the left Sidebar select Timesheets
To set “Time Entry Notes Requirement Option” via Edit Project:
- Select your project and edit
- Select Timesheets located in the left Sidebar of your Edit Modal
Submitting Time for Approval
Submitting time for approval works in the same way that it would without approval activated. The difference is that once you submit the time, it will go to a Pending State and will be locked (Depending on the settings). The approval can be turned on/off on a Project level, so not every project will behave like you are submitting for approval.
Reported Time Row Options
To the right of each category row is a three-dotted button with options to allow you to:
- Change Category
- Add Notes
- Reset Row
- Delete Row
Lock / Approve / Reject Time
To manage timesheets on more of a professional level, you will need to install the Approval Workflow Extension.